DREAM DICTIONARY - Gangster :
In practice gangsters could translate into many words - here is the full list - "ruthless", "bitter rivalry", "paranoia","inability to trust anyone". (Try to see how these words are relevant. We will discuss why these words are on the list later).
Now try to see how words in this list feature in your thoughts. Think of the things that you write down in a diary or tell a friend. Its likely that dreams translate into conscious thoughts that you are all too aware of - nowadays not many people believe in the unconscious mind. If any of the thoughts that you have seem to feature words on the list then its likely that the dream could link to that thought - it may even portray that exact thought process. So if you have been feeling that "I am getting very paranoid recently" then the gangster world is an excellent metaphor for that inability to trust anyone. If key words were to feature in more than one issue then the dream could represent either issue. So you would look for further clues.
By studying hundreds of dreams we now know that gangster dreams will tend to link to these types of feeling
- "Its a ruthless setting - we are competing against each other"
- "I simply cannot trust anyone"
- "He behaved very ruthlessly"
- "I am getting very paranoid recently"
WHY ARE THESE KEY WORDS LINKED TO THIS SYMBOL?
- "ruthless" (Any ruthless behaviour could be symbolised by a gangster - its like saying he is as evil and ruthless as a gangster)
- "inability to trust anyone" (Gangsters cannot trust each other so a gangster could portray any situation where you feel no one is to be trusted)
- "paranoia" (Gangsters cannot trust each other and they can be a symbol for anyone who is becoming paranoid. A gangsters mind may become twisted paranoid if he feels he may at anytime lose his life or be betrayed)
- "bitter rivalry" (we often use the term a cut throat environment to describe a highly competitive industry or workplace)
QUESTIONS to help you make associations(pick the one that makes most sense to you)
- Have you been worn down by a situation where you feel you cannot trust anyone?
- Did someone behave ruthlessly?
- Have you been thinking about an environment which is highly competitive - everyone is each others rival?
- Have you been showing signs of paranoia recently
EXAMPLE DREAMSExample dream : A dream about a gangster dream took place the night after the dreamer actually watched a gangster film which made him think. At first glance the real gangster film seemed like a normal gangster film but towards the end it seemed to work on some deeper level which made the dreamer think.
Example dream : Just recently the dreamer had been watching a TV reality program and this dream represented his thoughts about the show. He realised that the contestants were set against each other and so they were allowed to be ruthless in trying to win - just like the gangster. Yet he thought that people should still play fairly. Later teams were switched round in the TV show so old enemies now had to live with people they had built up bitter rivalries with. The dreamer was thinking how he would react in this circumstance and it showed that even in a ruthless setting you should respect others. (even when you gang up on others you should still show respect and humanity)
Example dream : A dream about gangsters was linked to the dreamers paranoias and with this her inability to trust anyone. So the shady underworld of the gangster is an excellent symbol in that no one can be trusted and no one can be relied upon. So we can actually translate the symbolic meaning of gangsters into the everyday phrase "unable to trust anyone" or even simply the word "paranoia". Gangsters have very little relevance in everyday life yet for this person the terms "unable to trust anyone" or the word "paranoia" were extremely relevant as she was very paranoid at the time. So actually the gangsters were central to understanding the dream as they portrayed a key feeling "I am so paranoid right now. I cannot trust anyone." Shooting hinted at the dreamer hitting out at anything which was true as the dreamer was seeing enemies where they did not exist.
OTHER LINKS nasty dreams cruel dreams torture dreams brothel dreams peril dreams ruthless dreams exploit dreams mafia dreams behaviour dreams wicked dreams army dreams bikers dreams rough dreams ruffians dreams viking dreams
This website has a huge collection of dreams. The accuracy of the dream symbolism depends on a huge huge number of practical examples. If you have a dream which you feel you understand then please send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I would be delighted to add it to the collection.