DREAM DICTIONARY - Desperate :Understanding dreams is not so difficult. In practice dream symbols translate into certain words within the English language. For instance a feeling of desperation in a dream may simply capture your feeling that "I was very complacent yesterday. I did not realise how difficult it would be" and so the desperation may translate into the words "difficult" as a feeling of desperation in a dream may mean that you have found something very difficult the previous day.
In practice desperation could translate into many words - here is the full list - "difficult", "trying but failing", "failing", "lacking confidence", "accused", "determination", "battling", "struggling", "complacent","panic". (Try to see how these words are relevant. We will discuss why these words are on the list later).
Now try to see how words in this list feature in your thoughts. Think of the things that you write down in a diary or tell a friend. Its likely that dreams translate into conscious thoughts that you are all too aware of - nowadays not many people believe in the unconscious mind. If any of the thoughts that you have seem to feature words on the list then its likely that the dream could link to that thought - it may even portray that exact thought process. So if you have been feeling that "This project has been a major struggle" then obviously the desperation in the dream will have recognised the extent of this struggle.
By studying hundreds of dreams we now know that desperation dreams will tend to link to these types of feeling
- "I simply do not know what I can do"
- "I am completely determined to overcome my health problems"
- "I am determined to do this - it means so much to me"
- "I underestimated the problem. I realise I was too complacent now."
- "I am so lacking in confidence"
- "Yesterday was a very difficult day"
WHY ARE THESE KEY WORDS LINKED TO THIS SYMBOL? - "difficult" (we only feel desperate if we find something difficult. Think of anything that has just tested you and it could have triggered the dream)
- "trying but failing" (Desperation often involves situations where we put in 100 percent effort but still are struggling)
- "lacking confidence" (Sometimes we are beaten before we even start if we lack confident to take on a challenge)
- "accused" (If you are accused - especially falsely accused then this can make you feel desperate)
- "determination to overcome" (the more you are determined the more desperate you feel if you fail)
- "battling" (what have you been battling against)
- "overcome illness" (ill health especially makes you desperate. Are you battling against a difficult illness such as arthritis or cancer)
- "struggling" (struggling is an associated word. People who are struggling are also desperate )
- "complacent" (An unusual word in the list. But if you have suddenly realised that something was harder than thought then it may link to a temporary feeling of desperation. So if you were very complacent about something yesterday then desperation in a dream may point to that realisation that you had been complacent)
- "panic" (panic is associated with desperation. Did you panic yesterday?)
EXAMPLE DREAMSExample dream : A dream of an apocalypse which ended up in new desperate and brutal world followed on from a night of worrying. The dreamer had been told that his father was going to have a serious operation which might kill him. The dreamer depended on his father and visited him every day and realised that he could not cope without him. The brutal world in the dream linked to this type of thought, "if my father died my existence would be harsh and brutal. I would not cope well at all. It would be a desperate existence."
Example dream : In one dream the dreamer desperately wanted to leave Antarctica. In real life he had split up with his ex girlfriend but was now desperate to get back with her. Antarctica was a symbol for him being "out in the cold" after the split.
Example dream : Desperately trying to keep afloat was symbolic of the dreamers difficulty in living normally as she was battling with her father all the time.
Example dream : Feeling desperate in a dream linked to the dreamer feeling very desperate in real life because he could not get a job despite trying as hard as he could.
Example dream : Feeling desperate symbolised the dreamers tendency to lack confidence.
Example dream : Desperately trying to get to higher ground symbolised the dreamers determination to recover his health
Example dream : A dream where the dreamer is desperate was linked to a situation which the dreamer felt could control but was actually much worse than he thought. He had tried to manipulate a situation to annoy a woman who he disliked. This backfired and his former complacence was replaced by a sudden realisation that he was playing with fire.
Example dream : A dreamer where the dreamer was desperately trying to do something was symbolic of a very difficult day.
Example dream : A dream where the dreamer was desperately trying to keep out some monsters was linked to her terrible health problems which made it very difficult for her to mix with people. The desperation was symbolic of the extent of her health problems, no matter how hard she tried it was too difficult for her.
Example dream : Feeling desperate in a dream linked to a similar feeling of desperation in real life as the dreamer was falsely accused of something and did not know what to do to clear his name.
Example dream : A dream where the dreamer was desperately trying to keep out some monsters was linked to her terrible health problems which made it very difficult for her to mix with people. The desperation was symbolic of the extent of her health problems – no matter how hard she tried it was too difficult for her.
OTHER LINKS struggle dreams effort dreams losing dreams win dreams want dreams war dreams fight dreams alive dreams despise dreams love dreams elation dreams test dreams depressed dreams eventually dreams month dreams mystery dreams previous dreams army dreams defeat dreams retreat dreams humiliate dreams trounce dreams peril dreams abuse dreams aware dreams compassion dreams concern dreams plight dreams poor dreams desolate dreams harsh dreams stark dreams hovel dreams squalid dreams hungry dreams poverty dreams beg dreams plead dreams defiant dreams negotiate dreams stubborn dreams justify dreams stutter dreams
This website has a huge collection of dreams. The accuracy of the dream symbolism depends on a huge huge number of practical examples. If you have a dream which you feel you understand then please send it to me at email@example.com and I would be delighted to add it to the collection.